The Education and Outreach Committee leadership for 2023 would like to thank everyone that participated in educating the public about Gopher Tortoises and their habitat throughout the range. Education and Outreach activities included distributing materials and engaging with the public at various events. We also responded to inquiries about specific issues that GTC members and/or the public have called to our attention.
During 2023, we received, evaluated and awarded Grant the following Grants:
Donna J. Heinrich Environmental Education Grant (Approx. $2700 total):
- Pepin Academies, Signage and Environmental Learning Center (Celeste Keller) - Ribbon Cutting scheduled for the end of January 2024, New Port Richey, Florida, Date TBA
- Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park, GT Forage Garden (Fairl Thomas)
We would like to specifically thank George Heinrich for his continued involvement in the Donna J. Heinrich Environmental Education Grant.
Gopher Tortoise Day Grants (Approx. $3900 total):
- Friends of Split Oak Forest (Valerie Anderson)
- Satellite Beach GT Day (Susan Skinner)
- Fiesta de Tortuga, Auburn University (Lee Farrow)
- Discovery Elementary
- Turtle Point Science Center
Grant Information and criteria can be found on the website
Committee Leadership Transitions
Stay tuned for the Spring 2024 GTC Newsletter for project spotlights from the Education and Outreach Committee!